Monday, June 29, 2009

Mystic Masseur

By VS Naipaul

Like as if it were a rule - I would never pick a book written by VS Naipaul and Salman Rushdie. But with their tales they’ve made me fall in love. The transportation to a new place, another time gives me a new high, a surge of new life.

I read the mystic masseur with no expectations – it was my first Naipaul. I loved it.

What I loved in this book? Everything, from the insight into the way Indians live or rather speak in Trinidad and Tobago, to the innocence of the plot and the lesson that when God gives you a lemon, make lemonade – Truly, this tale of really sweet characters just charmed me no end.

As mentioned in my previous posts – it’s not the story but the way the characters are, the depth in them, their introduction and significance that makes for a really sumptuous read.

Definitely – pick it up!

2 comments:

Tirtho said...

There is something about Naipaul which I feel makes him idiosynchratic in a certain way. The juxtaposition of India and Trinidad's cultures in all his writings gives him a flavor which you cannot ignore.

A good review. I really think it's nice.

Ira Pradhan said...

I have to actually read more of his work to call him idiosynchratic - give me some time to tear it apart :) kidding!