Friday, June 26, 2009

Interpretation of a Murder

By Jed Rubenfeld

I like books that take me away from my world and into something so different and so mesmerizing that keeping the book down for a moment would be like coming back to the ordinary. Which is quite disheartening at once.

Interpretation of murder was one such book. While I was looking for a good book to read, I came across this book after nearly 2 hours of searching. I took it up especially because Freud is one of the characters and so is his troupe including Karl Jung. It good to understand their theories, work and life and times in a background of a murder mystery or vice versa. This book indeed was a very interesting option.

Of course, I read it in 5 hours between 2 days and definitely it didn’t disappoint me. It gives you a slight history of things that could have happened for Freud and Karl Jung to go their separate ways, the face of New York at the turn of the century and Freud’s fear that America will be going to the dogs.

The story itself is gripping, with unforgettable characters, including a triumvirate, a love story angle and Freud helping in solving the mystery. It’s a complete pot boiler – but better without the tackiness.

When you read books like this you realize its not about the story but the information, the research, the knowledge, the history that makes for a complete book.

I loved it. Read it.

PS: I found 2 things unsolved in this book though.

2 comments:

Tirtho said...

Wow. This is a really good review. It's 4:46 am and I seem to be growing impatient for day light to come and the hours to pass by so that I can hit either Blossoms or Landmark to buy this book. It makes me want to buy this book so much. It makes me want to feel anxious to see how Freud solves mysteries.

Keep it up. Keep writing. Good one Ira, need some more from you. Considering this is the only good read I have done in the past couple of months....you know why:)

PS. There seems to be a typo or dropped word. "It good to understand....(is) seems to have been dropped.

Ira Pradhan said...

Aha - the typos- but frankly there are more typos than the one you saw.

I need to edit my blogs a bit that is for sure. But my main problem right now is populating the blogs. Although i read a lot, essentially the blog is about the great books that comes across once in a way.

Twilight doesnt fall in this category, but then i thought let me write a line on it at least.

Thanks for the nice note here. Will try to keep this up. And you can borrow from me.