Wednesday, September 1, 2010

State of Fear

By Michael Crichton

Michael Crichton has surprised me before. I had read Jurassic Park when I was younger and was amazed by the details, astounded actually. In my self-centered mind, the biggest success of the author was the fact that noone had ever explained science to me as well as Michael Crichton did.

2nd surprise was when I saw him in Oprah – a very tall (almost 7’), charming, CEO-ish and very non-author look let alone a person of science! I loved him!

3rd was when I picked up Disclosure! First of all I kept looking back at the cover to check if it could possibly have been written by the same person. But as I read more and more, I was quite sure. With the details and the fast paced way the book had been written, it had to be him. From Dinos to sexual harassment – it was hard to believe!

On that, the movies were huge and the tele-drama ER was fascinating, intense and fast paced, as would be expected.

I read ‘State of Fear’ recently and I am surprised again. The arguments are terrific, the conclusions even more so. Being a ‘green-reading-enthusiast’ it was a right book for me to read. The arguments are quite a revelation in terms of the so called global warming and climate change phenomenon. We really are so under informed! Michael Crichton has studied this for 3 years before embarking on writing this book. So the book is very educative, informative, thought-provoking and definitely influencing.

It’s a must read!

Of course I picked up this book as my tribute to the great man, who passed away in 2008.

1 comment:

Oh Me! said...

For i could have been ignorant and just picked a side but only till i read this book. Sometimes i feel i should'nt have coz its just so much more difficult to do so now and in a way it justifies my indecisiveness