Tuesday, March 10, 2009

Bookless in Bagdad!

By Shashi Tharoor

Shashi Tharoor is my favourite Indian writer. Its inexplicable that someone so good looking can be so talented!

Nevertheless I will not write any further on Tharoor’s beauty – rather let me just give a sneak peek on his book – Bookless In Bagdad.

There were many reasons previously for me not to pick up that book. It sounded like one of those books with similar titles. I had been reading Orhan Pamuk and Salman Rushdie and Khaled Hosseini, so I wasn’t ready for this title.

But I picked it up and kept it in my cupboard. One day when I had nothing to read, I had to read this one. And to my surprise, it had nothing to do with Bagdad!

It’s a very easy read on various authors who have made (or not made) a difference to the English reading population. Of course this is from the point of view of Mr. Tharoor.

You get a nice peek into the past writers, the so called classic writers and the real greats. It will inspire you to read some of them but mostly it will give you an overview, an easy way to choose and a look into the past days, the journey of writers over the years.

You don’t have to go by the book but you can go buy the book J

6 comments:

Tirtho said...

Ira, the review started quite poignantly with you starting with Shashi Tharoor's "beauty";somewhere giving away your your love and admiration for him.

The review however, is short and I would say not too much of a review per se..'coz it does not say too much about the book per se. It's much more than mere insights or a guide to pick up books.

What it does not do is to inspire you to read some more. I believe, unless you like reading, nothing can inspire you to do so.

Neruda, I believe has never written in English or contributed to English reading people directly.

Will wait for a detailed review on this...

I must also admit, I tried writing one and failed...may be thats the reason I wanted to read a longer and more detailed review

Ira Pradhan said...

Hi T,

I completely forgot about Neruda and one more. Thanks. ALso increase your vocab much of 'too much' and 'per se'!!!

And what about Nirad - say something, I urge you to!

Tirtho said...

I really need to refresh my vocab rather than increase it. This is what happens when not in touch with writing for a long time.

Ah Nirad..I see where you are coming from...I do not completely agree that the one about N C Chaudhuri was written for me/ about me. I am not one who claims, "Civis Britannicus sum". The genleman being an Indian claimed himself to be more Brit than he can ever be and who has enough audacity to be correcting invite letters from the Queen and sending it back.

However, playing the devil's advocate, I have two things to say in favour of NC.

One, I believe he is largely misunderstood and his intent was sarcastic to condemn British rulers for not having treated Indians at par with their British subject.

Second, he earned his place and stood his ground...Commander of the Order of British Empire (CBE).

Give every man his due.

Ira Pradhan said...

Thats why he is mentioned in this book. To give the due

Ira Pradhan said...

and no - he wasnt being sarcastic - he went to England finallay to become English! :)

but anyways

Tirtho said...

I think every great has their share of idiosynchrasies...Vidi Naipaul was one more....agreed that he had his obsession with Brits...but then atleast he worked towards it!!!